Joseph Harries - Gomer
Joseph Harries was born in 1773 at St. Dogwells, the son of a Farm Bailiff. As a young child he attended the local Church of England as it was at that time. But eventually he started worshipping with the Baptists in local houses in the locality. He was baptised at Llangloffan in 1792/93. It is said that he was greatly influenced by the Puncheston Revival of 1795. He started preaching in 1796. During his short life of some 52 years, he wrote many, many hymns. He also wrote many religious tracts, books and commentaries. He was the one who published the first all Welsh weekly, Seren Gomer from 1814-1815.
Joseph Harries became one of the greatest men in every sense with the Baptist movement in Wales. Through his preaching and his very valuable publications he has left a wealth of literature for us to read and understand.
Bryn Gomer of course has been named after him.
There is a commemorative stone to Joseph Harries on the Village Green near the notice board. (The plaque is being renovated at the moment.)
Captain William Davies Evans
Captain William Davies Evans was born at Musland Farm on January 27th, 1790.
He joined the Royal Navy in 1804 and rose to the rank of Captain. Captain Evans invented the internationally recognised system of tricoloured lights that are used by shipping companies globally to make sailing at night safer. While aboard ships he passed the time playing chess and invented the Evans Gambit, now used and recognised the world over by chess players.
Captain Davies Evans was buried at the Belgian port of Ostend in 1872.
A blue plaque mounted on a stone (from Musland Farm) commemorating his memory is situated on the Village Green adjacent to the school.
Captain John Edwardes
Captain John Edwardes developed the Sealyham Terrier as a breed between 1850 and 1891 at Sealyham House, near Wolfscastle. Originally the breed was used for pest control, to hunt small game, and to eliminate vermin, particularly badgers, which he usually relocated. The Welsh Corgi, Fox Terrier (Wire), and the now extinct English White Terrier all played a part in the make up of the Sealyham, although Edwardes did not keep records. He wanted a small white dog with a strong jaw, and a wiry coat. The white coat was particularly prized, as it meant that the hunter in the field could distinguish the dogs from the quarry. Edwardes culled weak dogs, and bred the stronger ones. After Edwardes' death in 1891, other breeders began to work with Sealyhams, including Fred Lewis, who promoted the breed.