Wolfscastle Community Web Site
   Home            The Four R's


The rocks are the most striking feature of the area. Apart from the gorge itself, the hilltops are littered with outcrops of rock, estimated as being over 1000million years old. These are lumps of very hard volcanic rock that have weathered the storms. Great Treffgarne Rock is a famous landmark, with the Lion Rock & the Unicorn lying so majestically against the background sky.

The road is neatly tucked in between the cliffs of Treffgarne, forms the obvious most natural break in the string of mountains that stretch across the north-south route. Many of Pembrokeshire’s earliest settlers lived in this area, in camps and hut circles high above the gorge. In medieval times, the deeply wooded gorge was a notorious haunt of robbers and visitors, particularly English ones - were often ill-treated at the hands of the wild Welsh bandits.

The railway squeezed its way through the gorge in the early 1900’s. Brunel had surveyed the route some 50 years earlier, when the South Wales Railway was hoping to extend to Abermawr. Nothing came of this idea, but when GWR decided to build a route through Treffgarne to serve the increasingly important port of Fishguard, they used much of the course envisaged by the great Victorian engineer.

Treffgarne proved to be one of the most difficult stretches on the whole line. Throughout the winter of 1906 the navvies worked away at the tough rocks in conditions of extreme cold, , and when a workman died from an explosion in February of that year, it looked as though Treffgarne was going to defeat the railway.

Eventually, a single line was laid to link Spittal tunnel with Wolfscastle in 1908. In the following year, the Mauretania docked at Fishguard Harbour, and over 200 passengers climbed aboard special trains that passed through Treffgarne Gorge.

The fourth ‘R’, the river is the Western Cleddau, a favoured spot for salmon and sewin (sea trout) fishermen.

There is a legend told of a tunnel leading from a cave at Weircastle Rocks, and runs all the way to St. Davids. The story goes that a local farmer one day lost a very valuable sheep dog. Some days later a woman in St. Davids was sweeping her hearth when she heard some scratching noise underneath. She called her husband who helped her to lift the hearth stone and found the missing sheepdog alive and well.